Warm temperatures and standing water from recent rains are producing perfect mosquito breeding conditions, so please continue your efforts on personal protection and source reduction, including:
Avoid mosquito bites. It is import to prioritize personal protection to protect against mosquito bites.
- Wear EPA-registered mosquito repellents whenever mosquitoes are present and follow label instructions.
- Wear long, loose, light-colored clothing.
- Install or repair screens on windows and doors to keep mosquitoes outside.
Help reduce mosquito breeding around your home. Get rid of potential mosquito breeding sites to help prevent mosquito-borne diseases.
- Empty standing water from flowerpots, gutters, buckets, pool covers, pet water dishes, discarded tires, and birdbaths.
- Consider using products containing Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis(Bti), available at many garden and home improvement stores, to control mosquito larvae in containers that are too large to empty. Follow the label instructions.
Taking this steps will protect against mosquito-borne diseases, including West Nile Virus, La Crosse virus (LACV), Zika virus, and others.
For information, please see the ODH mosquito website.